The Outlaw of Cedar Ridge

The Outlaw of Cedar Ridge - Lori Connelly

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

It is the exquisite historical detail, which makes 'The Outlaw of Cedar Ridge' a 5* read. The first line transports me back to nineteenth century frontier America.
Evie the heroine is a young woman forced to leave her home and the life she knows to follow her husband's dreams. She is courageous and loyal to Ben the man she fell in love with even after experiencing painful life changing events. After five years of moving on as each of Ben's dreams turn to dust; Evie's life is endangered as a consequence of Ben's actions.
The plot twists early in the story and gives Evie and Ben a chance to work out their differences. My empathy with Evie is instant but the author also ensures Ben draws my sympathy which makes this an interesting read.
The description of their epic journey from Idaho to Oregon is wonderful and the setting is so strong it becomes a character in its own right. The emotional tension between Evie and Ben is intriguing and the love scenes well written and in keeping with the ethos of the story.
The lovely ending leaves you satisfied but some questions about Ben's past are left unresolved. As this the first in series I am keen to read the next book to see what happens next.
If you want an emotional romantic adventure to nineteenth century frontier America this is for you.

I received and ARC from Harper Collins UK HarperImpulse via NetGalley in return for an honest review.