Icebound: HarperImpulse Paranormal Romance (Mortals & Myths, Book 1)

Icebound: HarperImpulse Paranormal Romance (Mortals & Myths, Book 1) - Corinna Rogers [bc:Icebound|23123330|Icebound (Mortals & Myths, #1)|Corinna Rogers|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1409331150s/23123330.jpg|42672064]

This book is the first story totally devoted to a m/m romance that I have read. I like urban fantasy and don't mind well written erotica so I was happy to read and review.

I found the urban fantasy part of the story hard to imagine and understand. It was reminiscent of a fantasy computer game. Lots of action, creatures and horror but initially there wasn't enough description for me to visualise the world and become engaged in the story.

The story is graphically sexual and whilst I understand the need to show how committed Shane and Drake are to each other, I got that in the first few pages, the numerous sexual scenes appeared gratuitous.

The rape scene was too detailed and too long. I read for escapism as do many romance and erotica readers and no one would want to escape to that. It was included presumably to illustrate how devoid of human emotion Shane is at that point in the story. Shane's acceptance of his abuse at the outset made this point and the graphically detailed abuse was unnecessary.

Well written flashbacks make Icebound more understandable and interesting as the story progresses but not enough for me to read another book in the series.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Impulse via NetGalley in return for an honest review.